Washing & Care Guide
- Washing & Care Guide
Taking proper care for your hat isn’t that hard, here are some helpful hints.
- A Hat Box is a great way to protect your hat from dust, and from your hat becoming misshaped.
- If your hat has a brim that goes down make sure to overhang the brim on the edge of a table or a shelf.
- Fill your hat with tissue when storing for a period of time. Also store it in a bag if a hat box is not available.
- Avoid direct sunlight for extended periods of time due to sun fading and straw hats can become hard and brittle.
Shaping your Hat
- Never wear your hat in the rain unless you treat it with a water replant, this will misshape, and possibly shrink the material.
- You can iron your flat brim hats to repair minor misshaping on a low setting.
- Steaming your hat with a household kettle works great. Hold your hat 6-10 inches above the steam source and let the steam hit the hat 3 to 4 seconds at a time. Don’t let your hat get wet, just enough steam to shape with you hand. Then set crown on the table to dry.
- If your straw hat gets limp and too floppy you can fix this with a clear light coat of ½ shellac and ½ alcohol with a paint brush. I have also used spray starch to achieve the same stiffening affect.
- If you need to make your hat smaller, you can get foam weather stripping at any hardware store that comes with double sided tape and put it under the sweatband in the front and back if needed. Secondly you can shrink the grosband (ribbon on the outside) by wetting it and let it dry overnight it will stiffen.
- To make your hat bigger you can steam a felt hat aggressively to allow the fibers to loosen then with your hand shape it by pulling it outward in all sides to avoid warping. We also sell hat stretchers to be more precise.
Cleaning your Hat
- To remove dirt marks from straw and fabric hats, use a damp cloth with water and mild detergent and go over area in quick repetitive motions until the mark is gone, then pat dry with another dry cloth.
- If the stain is intense on a cut and sew hat take it to a local dry cleaners to avoid damage.
- Don’t dry hats in a dryer, this will harm the hats integrity.
- Only spot wash a hat, full emersion of any hat into water will warp and wreck your hat. Always let your hat air dry in an area with no direct sunlight.